Saturday, January 1, 2011

AT5IONT-I fanless? Forget it!

Last night we watched a full HD movie and were in for an unpleasant surprise. Just when the movie was about to end, the computer turned itself right off. I suspected overheating so I checked the temperature readings in BIOS and they were extremely high (79C)! To solve the problem I temporarily mounted a slim 60mm AMD stock fan above the heatsink. Since it doesn't cover the whole heatsink, a real solution would be getting a slim 100mm fan which I'm going to have to order from the UK.



Conclusion: The board obviously cannot rely solely on passive cooling, at least not in a slim desktop case. You will have to provide for adequate ventilation or face potential problems with overheating.

1 comments:

GrahamPhisher said...

idk about tht position for your fan, unless your case has some airholes on top which would be a rather odd design? what i did was just drill two holes in my media center case and hung a 90mm that pulls heat off.

http://i55.tinypic.com/npqw0n.jpg