Thursday, December 30, 2010

Project HTPC

I recently bought a new TV since the old one didn't have a DVB-T receiver. Buying just the receiver was out of the question because that would leave me with an ancient TV and bad picture quality. HDMI was the only way to go so I decided to build a proper HTPC capable of HD video playback.

A year ago I found a really good deal on Travla C137 case. Now I was finally able to put it to good use. Deciding which motherboard to buy took some more research. In the end I decided to go for an ASUS AT5IONT-I since I already had two 1GB DDR3 SO-DIMM sticks lying around and the board had the best CPU/GPU combo. On top of that, I bought a Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB hard drive which fit nicely inside the case. Low power consuption and silent operation make this drive ideal for such projects. Of course a HTPC wouldn't be complete without a remote control! After some fiddling with the drivers I was able to make the old ATi Remote Wonder work and it does the job fine.

The last thing to do was to choose the OS. I was deciding between XBMC and Windows 7. A couple of my co-workers convinced me to try Win7 so I did. All I can say at the moment is "so far so good".

Photo: link

2 comments:

marko said...

Nice job! You could also try other OS, e.g. Mythbuntu, Xtreamer, these are linux based HTPC ready solutions, or even OSx86.

The power supply came along with the case?

What was the total cost of this project?

How did you solve the heating problem? Is this case ready for active cooling?

I am also planning on something similar, thus i have many questions :)

regards

Mayhem II. said...

Yes, the power supply comes with the case. The total cost of the project was around 320€.

The case is OK for motherboards that come with standard cooling solutions ie. Zotac ION and similar.

Drop me an e-mail to nonstop.mayhem(at)gmail.com and I can give you more first-hand info.