Thursday, April 19, 2007

Follow-up: Mobile storage solution

As it turns out, the Icy Box isn't all that great as one would expect. The thing is, it works fine on my office computer and my laptop. However, it doesn't work with my desktop PC at home. Well, it worked the first time but then it had a seizure and all I got from it afterwards were spooky clicking noises. The disk doesn't get recognized, making it effectively useless (still works on previously mentioned PCs). I'm thinking there could be a problem with the motherboard which is an oldish Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. On the other hand, the rest of the USB devices I use with this motherboard work flawlessly, which is kind of funny. These include a mouse, a printer, a smart card reader, a flash drive and a webcam. Weird, eh? So I figure there could be a compatibility issue with the Cypress (7C68300A) controller in the Icy Box. If anyone reading this blog knows the solution, please let me know via comments. Thanks.

0 comments: