Tuesday, March 8, 2011

TG3 BL82 mod

In december 2010 I received a used TG3 BL82 compact mechanical keyboard. It was in pretty bad shape but I didn't want to throw it out so I decided to completely renovate it.

The idea was to swap switches for Cherry MX Blue and along the way swap LEDs as well. I got the switches from a fellow geekhack.org member and bought the orange diodes on eBay.

TG3 really has nice and clean soldering. All soldering and desoldering was done at 275C. Since I haven't done anything like this before, it took me almost 7 hours just to desolder the switches and diodes! I estimate that I spent a total of ~14 hours working on the project. Additional time was wasted with desoldering new diodes which turned out not to be bright enough.

The last ingredient was the transparent case I got from Deck thanks to another geekhack member.



You can find more pictures here.

1 comments:

Eugene said...

This keyboard is so awesome! It's chocolate!!